What Is A Quick Look at Daraqutni’s Critique of Muslim and Bukhari

Home Forums Affiliate Marketing What Is A Quick Look at Daraqutni’s Critique of Muslim and Bukhari

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Unlike that in later critical works, al-Daraqutni’s tone in the Kitab al-tatabbu’ is overwhelmingly constructive, and he does not aim at challenging the overall authenticity (sihha) of the traditions collected in the sahihayn. As will be demonstrated, the Kitab al-tatabbu’ comprises a formal adjustment of narrations rather than a polemical criticism of any traditions that its author deemed problematic in the sahihayn. This explains the favourable light in which the Sunni tradition came to view al-Daraqutni’s work. Although al-Nawawi devotes a huge amount of energy to rebutting the scholar’s criticisms of Muslim’s narrations, he nonetheless places the Kitab al-tatabbu’ in the acceptable genre of mustadrak works.
      Mustadrak: it is a genre in which addition is made as per the standard/quality of some other work e.g. al-Hakim’s (d. 405/1015) “Mustadrak ‘ala as-Sahihain” in which he gathers reports that he thought were according to the conditions of Sahih Bukhari and/or Sahih Muslim.
      Explaining further Dr. Brown notes;
      The nature of al-Daraqutni’s work does not stem from any inherent reverence for the Shaykhayn. Rather, it results primarily from the salient characteristic of his approach to Hadith: he addresses narrations and not traditions. He therefore does not criticize al-Bukhari and Muslim’s individual ahadith, but rather specific narrations of some traditions included in their two books. It would thus be wrong to state that al-Daraqutni criticized Muslim’s hadith in which the Prophet states ‘If I were to take someone from my community as a bosom companion (khalil), I would choose Abu Bakr’; he criticizes just one narration of that hadith, making no statement about the overall authenticity of that Prophetic tradition. In fact Muslim includes five other narrations of this tradition with a completely different isnad. This is the case for the vast majority of the traditions that al-Daraqutni mentions in his Kitab al-tatabbu’ . Both al-Bukhari and Muslim habitually included multiple narrations for a Prophetic tradition, and al-Daraqutni rarely has occasion to critique a lone narration.
      Visit Website: https://www.icraa.org/daraqutni-bukhari-muslim-hadith-brown/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enjoy The
    Magic Of Words From The Authors

A wonderful serenity has taken possession of my entire soul.
    I am alone, and feel the charm of existence in this spot!

Discover TrendyRead

Welcome to TrendyRead, an author and reader focussed destination.
    A place where words matter. Discover without further ado our countless stories.

Build great relations

Explore all the content from TrendyRead community network. Forums, Groups, Members, Posts, Social Wall and many more. You can never get tired of it!

Become a member

Get unlimited access to the best articles on TrendyRead and support our  lovely authors with your shares and likes.